Wednesday, October 21, 2009

I'm Not Sure I Signed Up for This!!!

We are well into our school year now - have I said that before?!? We are finishing up week 7 of our curriculum. I'm don't know about the boys but I am learning a WHOLE lot...mainly that I am probably not the best person to teach this curriculum. Why?! Because God did not gift me with the artsy-craftsy gene, the baking gene or the Susie Homemaker gene. Just today Ryan's Bible lesson required drawing a map of the various bodies of water in the Holy Land, so they are familiar when the Bible history teaching begins. Drawing a map - by hand - with a tiny picture as a guide. At least I will be able to tell where the bodies of water are in relation to one another but I am fairly certain they don't actually look like my map in real life!! Tomorrow we make "play dough" and Friday we are making bread. I am going to make the bread by hand and not in the bread machine. I'll let you know how it turns out.

One of the aspects I like most about the curriculum - the hands-on activities - is also the one that is giving me the most difficulty. I often wonder if they tried some of these things (paper wigwams come to mind) with 8 and 9 year old children before they are put into the lesson. I am not looking for perfection but I am wanting the directions to work. Some of the projects are not suited for people like me; you know, with no artistic ability whatsoever. Maybe they need a "dumbed down" version of the projects for people like me. I do the projects - to the best of my ability - and, honestly, Ryan's turn out better. Oh, well. At least I can say I am giving my children a well-rounded education.

Zachary is busily finishing up some math basics we skimmed over last year. He will complete the Fractions 1 book in the "Key To" series tomorrow, after having started it at the beginning of the month. I am thankful that he learns math quickly but that is also the reason we are going back to some of the "basics" like fractions, multiplication and division. I even re-taught addition and subtraction with multiple digits and "carrying" because he didn't quite grasp the concept. He is in such a hurry to move on that he doesn't pay much attention to the "easy" stuff that the "harder" stuff is built on. I am going to spend some time making sure his multiplication and division facts are solid before moving on to another curriculum...probably 4th grade.

Ryan is another story. He is so much like me. Math does not come easily to him. He is smart but math just gives him fits. He has been working on addition and subtraction facts since the beginning of the school year. He does well with the smaller numbers but the larger ones are a struggle to him. I chose a workbook for him for these first few weeks so I could get an idea of where he needed the work. Now I know. He finishes the workbook next week and I have decided the best course of action is to spend some time on fact families. Also, I will make sure he has access to a lot of manipulatives. He used Hershey's Kisses today and that helped with his work - and his work attitude. I will probably stick with what works. :)

I am fortunate that both boys are good readers and they both like to hear stories, too. I have started assigning silent reading to both, usually a few pages of one or two books. Zachary does better with his reading when he goes into the living room and reads out loud while Ryan can sit at the table and read silently. I am using the assigned history passages from Zachary's curriculum with both boys - these I read out loud to them. I do have to keep their hands occupied while I read, though. I will give them paper so they can draw or something to "fidget" with while I read. This week they have made paper clip snakes. It always amazes me that they can tell me the general idea of the story, if not specific details.

I am still very happy with My Father's World and what the boys are learning. While discussing math texts for Zachary today I told Chris that I would like to try "Teaching Textbooks." He asked if I meant just for math or for everything. I said, "Just for math! I love our MFW curriculum." I hope I feel the same way at the end of the year. I'm thinking I will. :)


RYAN AND THE GLIDER
Changing the subject, I have to brag on Ryan. Wednesday nights is when the church we attend, Arapaho Road Baptist, has Bible studies for adults and activities for children. Zachary attends the ARBC Production Company where he is learning about God while practicing for the Christmas program. Ryan and Joshua attend Patch the Pirate Club, where they do art projects, learn about the Bible and sing. Each night they have the opportunity to earn a "treasure" from the Treasure Chest. Tonight both Ryan and Joshua were able to choose a treat. Ryan chose a glider from the chest. Joshua LOVES airplanes but that was the last one in the chest. Ryan gave the glider to Joshua and chose another treasure for himself. What a sweet boy!! The story could end there and be great but it gets better. Tonight Ryan showed me his treasure and told me it was his "good luck charm" necklace. His treasure? A neon green plastic cross hanging from neon green string. The reason it is his "good luck charm?" "Because," he said, "Jesus died on the cross for my sins."

I Timothy 4:12 says "Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity." (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment